Subject: [Leica] Calatrava's Sundial Bridge
From: oliverbryk at iqmail.net (Oliver)
Date: Fri Aug 20 15:30:15 2004

Ted wrote:

"Hi Oliver,
Very good effort as it's a magical kind of bridge to shoot.

However, I think on a couple of them they would've been better served with a
21 or 15! The long shadow vertical with the tip missing off the top I bet
would've been improved with a wider angle lens. It seems like it's an
"Oops!" kind of shot where you chopped by accident and it immediately
creates the question, "why did he chop the top?"

I like those when you are tighter to the structural portion rather than
getting back farther as an overall kind of shot. Nevertheless they're
interesting and I just think this kind of situation demands the widest lens
possible on an M... the CV 15 or I bet it would be as wild as all get out
with the 12! Now there you go eh, get a 12 and re-shoot! ;-)  Then you'd
have everyone blown out of the water with super magical photographs. :-)

ted"

Ted, I agree with you. When I tilted the camera to fit the entire structure
into the frame, I could not exclude the sun at that time of day, and there
was not enough room to step back. The 24mm is my widest lens since I sold my
15mm Heliar a couple of years ago. I think a 21mm and a tall ladder would be
a good combination...Perhaps I'll try again next year when it's time for the
Shakespeare Festival in Ashland; otherwise I'm not keen on motoring up to
Redding (and back) on the coma-inducing I-5.
Thanks for your always insightful comments, Oliver

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (robertmeier@usjet.net) ([Leica] Calatrava's Sundial Bridge)