Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Sun Aug 22 18:53:24 2004

As a preface, I'm neither a film scholar nor an Eisenstein/Riefenstahl
scholar and wouldn't claim to be. A couple of film studies courses here
and there, but that's it. -

We know a great deal of Eisenstein's feelings, as you can find a number
of books of his writings on amazon.com and a fair selection of
biographies and criticism. He was a Leninist, but as far as I know,
never a Stalinist.

A prime difference between Eisenstein and Riefenstahl is that she was
gleefully complicit in the propagation of the Aryan image and the Nazi
program, where Eisenstein faced a great deal of difficulty during the
Stalinist era, and rebelled against the regime (cf. _Ivan the Terrible
II_ and the destruction of what he had done on the third).

His earlier work, made in praise of the Revolution and his Communist
ideals, can hardly be called analgous to Triumph of the Will. Potemkin
makes ideological heroes of the peasants and the rebellious soldiers -
not Lenin or the Party. Triumph of the Will doesn't make heroes of
rebellious Germans or even average Germans, it was made specifically in
adoration of the Aryan ubermensch and Hitler himself.

"And I am most unhappy with the media's spin on ideology.  (Religious
nuts are hardly right-wing,
&c &c -- the Rightists advocate limited government and individual
rights,
the Leftists scream for gummit programs limiting personal liberities and
reducing all citizens to a common state of servility to the
authoritiies.)"

Speaking of 'spin on ideology.'

Replies: Reply from kitmc at vuelux.com (Kit McChesney | Vuelux) ([Leica] Leni Riefenstahl)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leni Riefenstahl)