Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl
From: kitmc at vuelux.com (Kit McChesney | Vuelux)
Date: Mon Aug 23 07:30:51 2004

Nathan--

Thank you for that. Artists must be held to higher standards than everyone
else, I believe. That is the responsibility of the artist, to have a
conscience, to be introspective, to act in a way that is connected to a
higher human purpose. For anyone to say that she was merely a puppet, or
that she had no say in what she did, is to ignore all the extraordinary
efforts of every ordinary person who risked his or her life to resist, to
hide a persecuted individual or family, or who actively sabotaged the
regime. Of course we have to hold them responsible for their actions, just
as everyone else should be held responsible for theirs. Artists are not just
blank slates waiting to be written upon or manipulated by whoever happens to
be in power. There were plenty who chose death rather than to denounce their
fellow human beings.

Kit