Subject: [Leica] Riefenstahl ...apolitical alternate view
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue Aug 24 00:51:53 2004

You make an interesting point, John.  And if the French had only listened
to Woodrow Wilson instead of sticking it to the Germans at Versailles,
maybe the whole mess would have been less horrific later.  Ditto if they'd
paid heed to a young Ho Chi Minh. . .

But seriously, I think it is perfectly appropriate to judge Leni
Riefenstahl, because she became the visual spokesperson for Nazi
Germany.  "Triumph of Will" was not just German nationalism, it was a
glorification of Nazism itself, and of the sublimation of self to the
collective "Volk" under the supreme will of the Fuhrer.  Meanwhile, the
persecutions had already begun.  Leni's Jewish friends in the German cinema
were already fleeing.  The central place of racism and Jew-hatred in Nazi
ideology had been apparent from the Party's earliest days.  And the whiff
of conquest and Auchwitz are in the lines of "Mein Kampf."

What irks me most about Leni is not just that she made those propaganda
films.  It's that to her dying day, she maintained that she did nothing
wrong, she knew nothing of the Nazi barbarities, and what's all the fuss
about, anyway?  This tells me that she was (pick one or more):

1.  The kind of artist who was a genius in her field, but not particularly
bright to totally clueless about all else.
2.  A "compartmentalizer" who blinded herself to all that was going on
around her save what directly affected her.
3.  Someone who, like Richard Strauss, thought she could make a deal with
the devil and come out intact.  Unlike Strauss, she lived another
half-century, and had to create an internal fiction so she could live with
herself.
4.  Someone who got caught up in the Wagnerian pageantry of early Nazi
Germany, and by the time she realized what the inevitable result was, it
was too late.
5.  A committed Nazi who knew exactly what she was doing, and has lied
through her teeth about it forever after.

Personally, I think the answer is some combination of 1-4.  I could forgive
Riefenstahl if she had acknowledged her complicity in evil.  But she did
not.  It's telling to compare her with another German who turned to work in
Africa--Albert Schweitzer.  While Schweitzer healed the sick in Africa in
part to atone for his feeling of collective guilt over German militarism,
Leni found perfect black African bodies to glorify in the same way she had
glorified perfect Aryan bodies in the 30s.  A master stroke, as she could
say "See, I'm not a racist" while using the same predilections that had
served Hitler so well.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Riefenstahl ...apolitical alternate view)