Subject: [Leica] Kyle posts provocative new work in a futile attempt t o stop the i nnane riefenstahl nonsense!
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Aug 26 10:13:10 2004

I find the lighting and "every day" aspect, especially the setup in
the emptied living room in front of the fireplace, to add to the
unsettling nature of the images.

To me they don't connect very well - I look and move on - for the most
part. But 10.jpg does connect, although in a sort of horrific way. I
found myself thinking "But what if they had these in Iraq! Think of
the fine uses they could have been put to instead of make-do!" and
then right after that: "How many of these things are used with people
who aren't, necessarily, willing?"

I KNOW that in the space of human sexuality this is not even 3
standard deviations out there, or maybe 2? BUT....well, clearly the
image made me think about it so it connected emotionally which is what
a good photograph should do!

b4.jpg is well executed but so distant in terms of the people involved
that I'm simply unable to connect. I've tried to think of an analogy
and I think for me it's like the affectation in reading poetry where
the poet puts nothing into the reading but words and space without a
sense of self. I contrast that to the NEA chairperson, Dana Gioia, I
saw on PBS Monday or Tuesday night whose short poem to end the
interview about reading was both personal and passionate.

Transcript at:

<http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/education/july-dec04/reading_08-24.html>

There is both a link to the audio and to the video on this site.

Adam

In reply to: Message from nbeddoe at lehman.com (Beddoe, Neil) ([Leica] Kyle posts provocative new work in a futile attempt t o stop the i nnane riefenstahl nonsense!)