Subject: [Leica] OT: Question for professional (digital) sports photographers
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Thu Aug 26 14:00:25 2004

Depends on the usage.

Wire services and newspapers would shoot 10X8 at 300dpi (approx 3000X2000
pixels)
Magazines (SI, etc) would most likely be shooting RAW files.

It's the balance of speed and quality. You choose the quality you need and
the maximum speed follows.

...and this is the reason for all those remote setups. Different cameras
shooting different formats and making sure EVERYTHING is covered in all
possible manner.  As the buffer on one fills the next will start...and that
sort of thing.

Not unlike how we used to shoot both B&W film and colour slides at the wires
(back in the 70's) because we didn't know what we were going to need the
high quality colour for.

That said, this is the most extreme use of remote cameras I've ever seen.

See the camera with the attachment on the back of the viewfinder?
That feeds the viewfinder image back to a computer by either firewire or
wireless transmitter. The camera if fired by someone with a laptop
SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Can you image the meeting where they all had to workout who was using what
frequency for the Pocket Wizards :^)

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com