Subject: [Leica] Europe photos
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Aug 28 02:36:23 2004

Jesse Hellman wrote:

> I found in my trips, however, that being perceived as a foreigner (and
> this distinct from not speaking the language) helps people relax and not
> feel threatened. This is probably more true for male photographers,
> though. And maybe in different cultures this works in different ways (is
> this a cultural anthropology post?).
>
> The ideal might be to be able to speak the language but imperfectly
> enough to not be threatening.

My experience is that whether you are perceived as threatening depends
more on how you behave and on the environment than on how you speak.

Having said that, it is incredibly important to speak at least the
modicum of the local language. I know that people from English-speaking
countries are usually challenged in this respect, but what will often
happen is that if you try to communicate in the local language, people
will realize that you are a foreigner and will switch to English (more
often than not, obviously depends on the country) but will treat you
that much better because they know you tried and appreciate it.

There are a few situations where it helps to let people know that you
are a foreigner. For example, if you are visiting Flanders and do not
speak Dutch, it is helpful to make it clear that you are not Belgian. I
have a French cousin living in Brussels, and like most native
French-speakers, she is incapable of speaking Dutch/Flemish. But if she
makes it clear that she is French and not Belgian, then the Flemish will
speak French with her.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman