Subject: Re. [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Aug 28 22:34:20 2004

On 8/19/04 10:30 AM, "Peter Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net> typed:

> Everyone:  Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest--I was struck the sight
> of all those Can*n white lenses scrunched together. No "ragging"
> intended at all.  In fact, it made me think, "Free Press Zone"--kind of
> like the "Free Speech Zones" at the political conventions.  Minus the
> barbed wire.
>
> I'm well aware of Can*n's capture of the Pro market by offering great
> programs and service, as well as good equipment.  Again, I was just amused
> by that repeating pattern of *big* white cylinders.  As HCB might have
> said, it was all about geometry.  :-)
>
> --Peter
>
> Ted Grant wrote:

On the 19th this was mentioned Peter and this is pretty much what I pointed
out about it:
It's easy to think that Canon has taken over in these types of photography
when looking at a crowd of photographers at a press thing or fashion show.
Unless you know that there are three white Nikon lenses which you could have
been also looking At.

1. The Nikon Telephoto AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4.0D ED-IF AutoFocus Lens -
Light Grey
which you notice goes for under a grand USD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s
ku=242161&is=GREY

2. The Nikon Telephoto AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8D ED-IF II AutoFocus Lens -
Light Gray
which goes for five grand USD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s
ku=220378&is=USA

3. The Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF
AutoFocus Lens (Vibration Reduction) -
Light-grey
which goes for a grand and a half.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&s
ku=278173&is=GREY

Grey = white in terms of how these lenses are styled and named.

You'd not easily be able to tell these from canon lenses. Check them out
from the B&H site.

And other camera companies also make "white" lenses for their their cameras.
Minolta, Pentax, you name it.
And third party lens companies make white lenses for all these companies
cameras.

The LEICA APO-TELYT-R telephoto lens system has white front ends which I'm
sure many people would assume from a distance to be Canons.

They get less hot when you lay them out on a rock in the middle of the Gobi
Desert. This keeps their micromoters happier. And helps repel reptiles.

Just like not all watermelons are muskmelons but all muskmelons are
watermelons all tele Canon lenses might be white but not all white tele
lenses come from the muzzle of the Canon.

I'm glad I got the chance to re do this.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/