Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW Children
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Aug 29 04:56:26 2004

Re. http://gallery.leica-users.org/album39/boyinwindowII
Adam  Bridge wrote:
> I think just the boy in the window is the feature of this shot - the
> rest just sort of is there and actually distracts from him, I think.

Adam,

I agree with you that the boy in the window is focal
point of the shot, and can certainly make a shot
all by himslef.

I disagree with the rest of your post.  The stare
of the little girl, straight back at the camera is an
important supporting element.  And the picture
would not work as well for me, had the man also
looked at the camera.  I think it is an excellent photo,
and cannot think too much how I could improve upon
it.  Perhaps backoff a little to give just a bit more space
around the boy, on the left, and perhaps shoot from
a very slight lower angle of view to cut off some white
space and the reflection of the sky, and to include a
little more of the hand, hence define better the relationship
between man and girl, and to include a little more of the paper
coffee cups and the table top.  But these are really minor
improvements on what is already there, improvements
that might or might not be really improvements.

Cheers.

- Phong