Subject: [Leica] NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Aug 29 16:33:58 2004

On 8/29/04 9:01 AM, "Greg Locke" <locke@straylight.ca> typed:

> OK I'll weigh in with my equipment history story.
> Long story if you want to check out now. (but typical of a professional
> freelancer)
>
> In 1983, at age 22, I left Newfoundland to work with United Press Canada
> (UPI affiliate) in Toronto.
>
> I had an M4, 21 and a 50 (inherited from an America Uncle) ...and a I had a
> very complete Olympus SLR system (2 OM1's, 2 OM2's) ...and I was lusting
> the
> new OM 3's and 4's.
>
> Not having to shoot pro sports I never needed long fast glass much ...until
> Toronto.
>
> I was fine with my OM system, I had a 300 f4.5,  until the wear and tear of
> daily use meant an overhaul and cleaning was needed.
>
> Olympus didn't have an office in Canada but a distributor who had no
> concept
> what-so-ever of customer service, never mind the kind of service needed by
> professionals.

>snippet<

> The Nikon F's are GREAT cameras and combined with good professional service
> and support from Nikon (which is lax these days) is the smart choice for
> self-employed photographers who still shoot film.
>
> I know Ted gets or got great support from Leica and Kindermann (when they
> were the dealer) but that all changed too, maybe Ted can fill us in on his
> experience with professional support from Leica.
>
> I can't image them doing for me what Nikon did or does.
>
> Digital is different world and a different story.....

> Greg Locke

I think one has a couple of backups and lenses of focal lengths close enough
together or overlapping so if one goes out you can get by with using the one
next to it.

When you first start out maybe your only longer tele might be a 300.
But if you do a lot of that stuff you quickly find yourself also using a 400
and a 200. So if your 300 goes out you can get buy with the next one over
and crop or use your imagination.
Or God forbid you also have a 200-400 zoom which is heavy, slow, more
responsive to backlit trouble but which:
Zooms.
Weeeeeeee!

In the case of Olympus OM glass they are cheap and less to choose from....
So you get them all! :)

250mm f/2.0 EDIF
300mm f/4.5
350mm f/2.8 EDIF
400mm f/6.3
500mm
600mm f/6.5
1000mm f/11.0

But no long zooms. Weird!

50-250mm f/5.0
Zuiko AUTO zoom 65-200mm f/4.0
S-Zuiko AUTO zoom 70-210mm f/4.5 ~ f/5.6
Zuiko AUTO Zoom 85-250mm f/5.0

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/
zuiko/htmls/400mm.htm

I think they are all here:
http://www.datasync.com/~farrar/zuiko.html

I just checked at least now a 500 Zuiko mirror lens goes for $139.95.
The price of the lens cap for the Leica 500.
And which may produce sharper images.

Three are more Nikons and each one cost more.
So you pick and choose but you don't care if you come close as its nice to
have a back up in case the Nikon helicopter is not running to Newfoundland
that day.
Of if they overlap or double up even.
In case you want one on your color body and one on your black and white
body.
And one on your digital body.

This is the Leica tele lineup.

SUMMILUX-R ? f/1.4/80 mm
APO-SUMMICRON-R ? f/2/90 mm
APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R ? f/2.8/100 mm ?
APO-SUMMICRON-R ? f/2/180 mm ?
APO-ELMARIT-R ? f/2.8/180 mm ?
APO-TELYT-R ? f/4/280 mm

VARIO-ELMAR-R f/4.2/105-280 mm
VARIO-APO-ELMARIT-R f/2.8/70-180 mm
VARIO-ELMAR-R f/4/80-200 mm

APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/2.8/280 mm
APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/2.8/400 mm
APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/4/400 mm
APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/5.6/560 mm
APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/4/560 mm ?
APO-TELYT-R Modul-System ? f/5.6/800 mm

My rough guess of what it would cost to accrue the above 15 units would be
what? 20 grand? I may be way off.
Naturally there is the "not modern" options which I understand often go for
chump change. And we could bring back the thread for the twelfth time as to
whether the Modul-System is viable or not regardless of cost.
I'll selling my house and getting one tomorrow.

I guess for the cost of a modest not all inclusive Modul-System you could
get the entire Nikon tele lineup pretty much listed here:

300mm f/2.8D ED-IF II AF-S
400mm f/2.8D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor
500mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor
600mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S II Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor
200-400mm f/4G IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor Ai-S
50-300mm /4.5 ED Zoom-Nikkor Ai-S

Pulling these from the Nikon and Leica sites I before hand expected the
Nikon offerings to of course to be overwhelmingly more overwhelming than the
Leica.
I find just about just the opposite.

Blessed be the list makers.
For they discover the keys to the universe.

Which is basically they less they offer the less you can afford them anyway.

But maybe not.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon