Subject: [Leica] New Gallery - A Smattering of August
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Sun Aug 29 21:52:47 2004

> ...but there are also others which I frankly do not understand:
> http://www.heninger.org/gallery/2004/augsmattering/pages/ny2004_%2001.htm
> http://www.heninger.org/gallery/2004/augsmattering/pages/ny2004_%2016.htm
> http://www.heninger.org/gallery/2004/augsmattering/pages/ny2004_%2019.htm
> What are you trying to convey with those? Sometimes tilt and unsharpness
> serve their purpose, indicating dynamism and movement. But in the case
> of these three, I really only get a sense that they were accidental
> exposures.
>
> Please do not take it the wrong way, I really want to understand your
> reasoning behind these images.

No offense taken, and I'm glad you asked.

Several of those in that gallery were shot in a different style than I
normally shoot film.  I've shot digital like this a bunch (more on that in a
second).

In essence, I was holding the camera vertically with a wide angle lens just
above the knee. The camera, hanging from its strap and one finger on the
shutter.  Its like hipshooting only lower. I wanted to get a feel for what
my M and Hexar could do at that level.  Frankly, most were a bust, but I did
like these for the dynamic feel they give. They were shot on the move,
freely in an Egglestonesque manner. They represent a vignette of the larger
scene in front of me, which I leave to some chance in what I get by not
framing it properly.

In fact, its very much like how I grew to learn to use the digital camera
weaknesses as their strength - lag times, bad viewfinders, bad resolution
and try to squeeze something different than perfect framelines and such.

Make some sense?

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] New Gallery - A Smattering of August)