Subject: [Leica] chatty group...flood waters
From: lea at whinydogpress.com (lea)
Date: Thu Sep 2 09:29:29 2004

Seems we've been enjoying a nice day of chatting so I thought I'd share
my week.

Friday night, out of nowhere a storm hit Kansas City right between the
eyes. We were dumped with between 6-8 inches of rain in a 12 mile swath
which lasted about 2.5 hours. Unfortunately, our home was in the swath.

I live in a very lovely part of Kansas City called Brookside; and it
isn't called Brookside for nothing. Down below the level of the street
there is indeed a brook that runs right alongside our home...about 15
feet away...which turns to run behind our house then down two houses
before straightening out again and heading north. It's all underground
so to look at it on a sunny day you'd never suspect the horror that it
is capable of producing. Well, not just the little brook but undersized
water channels as well.

Friday evening my partner and I were enjoying dinner on the Boulevard
(those of you who are familair with KC flooding realize what a
tretcherous place we were in as the Blvd is flood haven) when the storm
hit. We quickly finished our dinners, headed to the car, were soaked to
the bone in the 15 feet it took us to get safely inside and we headed
for home. We drove up to discover the little drainage ditch next to the
house was full of water. It hadn't crested yet so we knew we had some
time to get things moved about.

I parked my car up the street (in 1998 this area flooded so badly that
several garaged cars were totaled because the water floated them and
they banged around inside the garage...not to mention being filled with
water.), my parther moved hers then we ran home, straight down to the
basement where I very, very, very quickly started running 30+ years of
black and white negatives out of my darkroom and up to the first floor.
We were safe, it was dry...but the rain wasn't letting up and I had a
feeling we were screwed. And boy was I right.

In 1998 this house filled to the basement rafters with water; my folks
lived here at the time and every single thing down there was a total
loss except for 2 boxes and my dad's highchair from when he was a wee
little boy.

The rain kept coming and we kept hauling...Christmas ornaments, some few
photographs, a few easy to reach boxes, photo paper, easel. I was on the
way out of my darkroom with my brand spanking new Saunders VCCE 6700
enlarger and my Analyzer Pro when it hit.

>From under our side basement door the rain came pouring in. Rain
gushing, falling, invading open dry space creates a sound like no other.
A neighbor was here helping us and told me a couple days later that
he'll never forget the scream I let out when the water came. It was
unreal. In a matter of minutes our basement was filled with 8" of
standing water. We have a check valve so it wasn't sewage coming
in...just rain. Thank God for small favors, huh?

The good news is that despite 3 days of clean up we didn't have any
emotional loss...all my negatives were safe (and are now stored up in my
studio), no photographs were ruined, the enlarger and timer are back in
place though the walls of my darkroom (one side is hanging black fabric)
are washed and folded neatly waiting to be put back up.

We've had 7 fans and a dehumidifier going since Saturday...only today
was it dry enough to turn the fans off.

That's been my week. I hope everyone else's has been much less
stressful.
Lea

Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press www.whinydogpress.com