Subject: [Leica] D-2
From: dcm at pobox.com (David Mason)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:14 2004

Sonny Carter wrote:

> David sez re: build quality:
>  >
>  > It doesnt really surprise me - remember, its a Panasonic camera. Leica
>  > donated a lens to it, but its a Panasonic.
>
> I don't get that; I guess you can disdain the product over manufacterer,
> but my Panasonic LC5 is durable, and after a year of extremely hard use,
> shows no signs that it was dropped twice.  It makes pictures just as
> good as it did when I first shot with it.  By the way, many other
> products in my home are panasonic, and they give good service as well.

No no! I am not disdaining it at all. In fact, I wish we got more
Panasonic products here in the States. The Panasonic laptops that are
sold in Japan are phenomenal.

What I am disdaining is my feeling that Leica really doesn't have a grip
on this digital thing. I almost feel like they have no right to put the
red dot on that camera... its not theirs! Having said that, I really
hope that they learn a lot from Panasonic and that we can all look
forward to some truly classic Leica digitals in the future.

Until then I will continue to use my Leica film cameras and my Nikon
digitals. Oh, and by the way, I had a Digilux 1 and I was unimpressed
with it - it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The price sure was better
than the D2.

Cheers,

Dave