Subject: [Leica] OT backup software
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:19 2004

Tim Atherton wrote:

> Experts - what's good (preferably free...) software for backing up my
> HD to
> say DVD - backing up essential files and system?

The price of hard drives makes using another hard drive a real
consideration -- perhaps a bit more expensive but much less hassle if
the drive you are backing up is multiGB.

I recently purchased a 250 Gb drive for < $200 and stuck it into a ~$
30 external USB2 box (mwave.com). So basically ~ $1/gb whereas DVD-Rs
are roughly $ 0.50/gb but you have the hassle of using a whole bunch to
back up a single disc -- which is really why you need special backup
software to use 'em -- that and you can't otherwise stuff a 12 Gb DV
video file on a single DVD -- whereas with an external drive you can
just drag ' drop.

Jonathan