Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 review pt posted - many samples
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:19 2004

on 3/17/04 4:26 PM, Sam at sam@osheaven.net wrote:

> I wonder if you can recall what was lacking in the XK system? It
> certainly was not an array of finders, screens, diopters, bulk film
> back, intravalometer, battery packs, motor drive, macro tubes,
> bellows,  copy stand, or lenses from fish-eye to 500mm. Here is an early
> system map to help you remember:
>
> <http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/minoltaxk/htmls/xksys
> tem.pdf>

Correction, Sam.  Lenses to at least *800* mm.  See the Leitz 800 f/6.3? ;-)

One of the problems with the system might have been the separate motor
drive/no motor drive models.  Probably the biggest problem with the system,
at least in the USA, was installed base of users.  By the time the XK was
introduced N and C already had a huge presence in the PJ market and renting
lenses for either N or C was much easier than for Minolta.  Minolta just
didn't have enough of a foothold to grab much market sahre.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com