Subject: [Leica] Leica event, Dallas
From: leowesson at charter.net (leo wesson)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:22 2004

Spent a couple of hours today with Gero Furchheim from Solms today.

Looked at and played with the D2i.  Kind of an odd camera, not sure I
like the hand feel.  Nice lens, liked the manual focus and zoom.
Didn't like the viewfinder.  Liked the zoom to focus aid.  All in all,
doesn't do it for me.

Looked at the D-Lux, never seen one before.  Seemed like a really nice
digital pocket camera, small, sleek, quiet.  Anyone ever use one?

Looked at the Macro Elmar.  This seems like a really well thought out
solution for macro on the M.  Would love to take one for a spin in the
studio.

Played with the Noctl for the second time.  I really want to like this
lens, but I am bothered by the focus limitation.  Shot some frames,
anxious to look at them.

Played with, also for the second time, a 75.  This lens feels good to
me, seems like a really nice focal length.  Might sell my 90 to get
one.  Could become one of those 75/35 shooters!

Looked at the MP.  Still like the M7 better.

One guy there  had one of those hammertone sets with a lens and a
leicavit.  Really pretty camera.  Weighs a lot.  He said he didn't
shoot with it, just a show camera.  I don't think like that.

I wanted to look at a R 100 macro, but there was not one to be had.

Gero said that Leica now had a working prototype of the digital back
for the R9 and he had hoped to bring it to Texas but it went to a
camera show in Japan.  He didn't specify which show, I suspect we will
hear about it soon.

We spoke about Erwin Puts.  I have been curious if Erwin was on the
Leica payroll; Gero said, no, he was working for them only on a project
by project basis.

The lens book that came out that was shot by Ralph Gibson was one of
Gero's projects.  He said that Ralph was a great guy to work with.  I
have always been a Gibson fan, but I have a hard time following him
sometimes.  He speaks a bit over my head.

I had some prints from my new show in the Jeep and Gero wanted to look
at them.  He was quite complimentary about the work and invited me to
submit them for consideration for hanging in the gallery at the
factory.  I was quite surprised.

That's all,

Leo