Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 comments! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (TED GRANT)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:30 2004

Hi Crew,

Well it looks like a camera, it feels like a camera, it makes images like a
camera.. so I guess it's a camera!!! :-)

I'll dispense with the price right off.. yep it costs more than others that
do many other things and yes that's a crime and yes it costs more than it's
cousin counterpart! So what!

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't pay what we pay for a film leica, well
isn't that right? I mean to say you popped 3 grand for a lens and 3 grand
for a body, any other mortal would think we'e a bunch of fruit cakes. So
that takes care of price comments on the Digi 2. :-)

Reproductions? Whew some image card cutter!!! I thought my Canon G5 was a
knock out but this is some image capture machine and the surprising thing
is, the printed images kinda look like they're Leica. ;-)

The zoom lens is fast and smooth for composition and everything feels like
you've got a film camera in  hand and not the usual digi cam most of us have
been accoustomed to. My Canon alwaays felt l
ike a toy no matter how good it worked. The digi 1 on loan felt like, well
felt like a brick block and never comfortable to handle.

Even though the Digi2 has a tad brick shape it feels like a solid camera in
hand and can be handled like one. I have a touch of concern with the EVF out
doors as it appears to darken more than I expected, Howver, maybe there's an
adjustment to lighten this but I haven't looked for it yet as I'm clicking
away like crazy.

The manual focus is interesting as there's a kind of "enlarged" centre
square that comes into the VF which to some degree makes for easier focusing
and the initial distraction is soon forgotten by use.

Most of what I've shot has been on auto, why not as it sure makes for fast
shooting and composition with the zoom lens.

Lag time? I haven't picked it up as yet if any, however I haven't shot
anything like sports or fast moving subjects yet but will do so shortly.
Indoors at 400 it's fine and the f2.0 lens seems to handle a most
 available light situations. However,  given the kind of work I do I'd much
rather have an 800 asa setting when it's needed. But againit's no big deal.

More to come but I can alay the whines and fears of some that if you put the
cost aside and try one with a damn good work out you might be pleasantly
surprised as I am at it's handling operation and reproducing qualities

At the moment I'm on the road so may not be able to get back as quick as I
would like if I were in the old home town. Not only that, but you may find a
used G5 on the market shortly! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: Digilux 2 comments! :-))
Reply from mcahill at laurelgroup.com (Laurelgroup) ([Leica] Digilux 2 comments! :-))