Subject: [Leica] Re: Ilford, B&W Market
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Mon Sep 6 09:04:17 2004

It's unclear whether Ilford will survive and in what form it will if it
does.  But I think it's clear there will be a market for Black and
White regardless of what happens to Ilford.

I read somewhere last week that Ilford had 60% of the B&W market.
Earlier I had heard that Ilford was affected by the many schools that
have either closed or scaled back their darkrooms. My guess is that
Ilford was too big for the changing market. It could not adapt, had too
much capacity, too much overhead. It was not flexible enough to change.

Perhaps in a scaled back mode it can.

As for size, I think the smaller companies--those that can adjust
capacity to demand, those with little debt (in 1998 or 1999 Ilford had
been bought up by some company. How big was its debt? Debt is like a
deadweight. You can shed employees, but you can't shed debt so
easily.).  Big car companies want big sales numbers whereas a small
company like Porsche can make a handsome profit on selling less than
50,000 cars a year (their research facility helps a lot, too).

I don't think Ilford's problems mean the end of black and white, though
if its products disappear, it will mean many of us will have to be
adaptive in our own right.

Doug Nygren