Subject: [Leica] OT - HP 7960 Ink Longevity vs. Original Piezo
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri Sep 10 09:20:22 2004

Nice test, Ben.  I've been having similar experiences with different inks
and papers.  Sometimes you can see fading in just days (Epson 880 on Ilford
Pearl), even in subdued window light.  I've just run across a batch of
prints made a few years ago and put away in a dark place.  Some looked
great and others showed changes.  Obviously, this is something that needs
more attention.  Silver gelatin prints made decades ago set a pretty high
standard.  I love printing via PS and inkjet, but I'm still waiting for the
technology to rise to the task.

Seems like someone could develop pigment inks based on silver bromide.  Or
a system for exposing silver gelatin paper (not C-41) in a digital lightjet
printer.  Now that would be interesting.

I will say that pigment prints (C-80 on Archival Matte) under glass and
facing away from the light have seemed to hold up really well.  Also,
they're hard to tell from silver prints.

Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr. SE
Albuquerque, NM  87108
505-262-4085