Subject: [Leica] Canon 135/3.5 lens
From: leirex at access4less.net (SML)
Date: Wed Sep 15 08:34:31 2004

Hello,

  Please do not forget about the black version of this lens which in my book
is not heavy at all.  I have never used the chrome version but the black
version is every inch as good as the Leica 135/4 Elmar (or 135/4.5 Hektor)
and the Nikon 135/3.5 probably at a tad bit cheaper price.  The black
version is pretty compact and excellent performer in every respect at a
bargain.  I presume that the black version has better coatings too.
  I did know that the Nikon 135/3.5 was a carbon copy of the Zeiss lens but
did not know that the Canon 135/3.5 was basically the same as the Zeiss
Sonnar too.  Then there is no doubt that either the Canon or the Nikon would
perform just about the same in optical performance.  I have heard that most
of the Nikon and the Canon lenses made in that era were better performer
than the comparable Leica lenses.  One good example is the Canon 100/2 which
has been considered better performer than the 90/2 Summicron.  In a
nutshell, these Canon and Nikon rangefinder lenses are excellent in
performance at much small numbers.  This info is what I have gathered from
various users and collectors including my experience.

Regards,
David