Subject: [Leica] new 1ds mark II
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Wed Sep 22 05:10:24 2004

I have a Kodak 14n - with 14Mp and no antialiasing filter, and believe
me, with good lenses there is a world of difference between a 6MP and a
14MP image.  The primary difference is being able to crop.  Dealeras
have been showing prints of everything from 1MP up in an attempt to
lower the bar on image quality - but completely ignore the fact that
you often can't get the framing you want at the time of the picture.

The thing I find objectionable about most DLSRs is the use of
antialiasing (fuzz) filters  that degrade the performance of all of
your expensive optics - requiring post-sharpening.  That's where the
Kodak excels - there is no automatic dumbing down, so sharpening, if
any, is very mild.

This arrangement, though, is not forgiving of cheap optics.  But I
suppose at the price where the camera sells, it's not a stretch to get
a 28/1.4, 28-70/2.8 and 105/2.  Since I bought the camera for less than
an MP body, it makes Leica look really expensive.

Dante