Subject: [Leica] Leica donation to students
From: leicagalpal at earthlink.net (Kit McChesney)
Date: Sat Sep 25 22:24:21 2004

Karen--

I think part of the impetus for this putative effort was the idea that Leica
might be well-served by having a presence in the educational
market/community/ivory tower, and that possibly putting used Ms or
L-whatevers there might help. Gosh, there's no restriction against giving
any kind of camera to a photog who needs it! I think the idea was 'how can
Leica heighten its visibility' and 'how can we turn some new young
photographers on to Leica cameras?' It could be a losing battle if digital
is all they're interested in fiddling with these days. I'm beginning to feel
very old, now that folks are saying that wet darkrooms are becoming a thing
of the past. I know my son's middle/high school has a wet darkroom, and the
university has one, but maybe those are just remnants of the olden days,
lingering on here in the frontier? ;-) I mean, for a place that can't serve
fresh fish because we're so far from the coast by horse and buggy ....

I even thought that a trade-up program to get the older cameras in, and then
a cool, hip, retro ad campaign to get the whippersnappers interested and
into Leicaland at a cut-rate cost would have been a neat concept. Maybe I'm
just wishfully thinking. Dunno. I can imagine all sorts of great things in
me noggin, but maybe they don't pan out in 3-D. I confess I do get carried
away with my own visions.

Your precioussssssssssssssssssss? Gollum, gollum. ;-)

Kit