Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: mark_e_davison at msn.com (Mark Davison)
Date: Thu Oct 7 11:19:05 2004

Tina Manley wrote in part:

>What difference does it make to the total weight of the plane whether my
>luggage is overhead or underneath? And do they make allowances for that 400
>lb person who is sitting in the seat next to me and has to ask for a seat
>belt extension?  When they start weighing everything going on the plane,
>including the passengers - like they do when I fly small planes in Central
>America - then I take the weight limits seriously.

The weight of the luggage in the overhead makes a difference in whether or
not the overhead bins will pop open during severe turbulence, dumping their
contents on someone's head.

I had this happen to me on one particularly harrowing transatlantic flight
when our 747 hit sheer turbulence. Quite a few of the bins popped open, and
it started to rain brief cases. Sharp little things. I had to unbuckle, get
out of my seat and shove a case back in the bin and latch it before the damn
thing knocked me out. All while the plane was shuddering and pitching in the
most sickening fashion.

The long term answer is better property security for checked luggage,
meaning that the airlines take on full responsibility for replacement value
insurance, plus a hefty fine. If they cannot secure our luggage in transit,
I don't think they can actually secure the airliners against terrorists
planting things.

Mark Davison

Replies: Reply from jplaurel at nwlink.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane)