Subject: [Leica] The negative as positive
From: mcintyre at ca.inter.net (mcintyre@ca.inter.net)
Date: Thu Oct 7 12:14:44 2004

OK, I'm a bit lost with this thread, especially in terms of Leica
photography. But I can
make the
following observation. I don't think it is possible to make a literal
comparison of the
"performing" arts to
the "creative" arts. I use quotations because both pursuits deal with
creativity, but arts
like sculpture,
painting, weaving, architecture etcetera are involved in the manufacturing,
or creation,
of a new
tangible physical item. (Photography has always had a difficult time
straddling this
arbitrary divide, but
that's a different discussion.) However, in music for example, the composer
creates, but
the performer
also creates, even though the performer is echoing another artist's
creation, the
composition. Theatre
and dance have the same issues. No two musicians/actors/dancers will perform
the same
piece
identically even though they are starting from the same place. But is it
"creative" to set
up an 8 x 10
view camera in Yosemite and photography exactly, or even closely, what Adams
made? Post-
modernists aside, not likely. Mind you there have been many tributes to
artists and
photographers past
by recreating with a twist a previous image, but this carries its own kind
of creation.

Anyway, on to the next thread....

Jim