Subject: [Leica] Commutative M7
From: MEB at GoodPhotos.com (Michael E. Berube)
Date: Fri Nov 5 18:15:17 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:46:16 -0800 (PST), lug-request@leica-users.org quoth
unto
the boundless Ether...
>I, for one, will be a film-based Leica nut for
>what remains of my life. After all, at least it gives you the
>satisfaction and the fun of enjoying a 50 year-old Leitz state-of-
>the-art fast telephoto lens. See:

A properly designed Digital M from Leica would provide the same satisfaction
and fun for many of us. Even with an APS-C sensor.

It doesn't mean that Solms have to turn away from film entirely. Nikon just
announced the F6 after all. While I'll not be trading my work cameras D2H or
D70s in for a new F6, I would have to option if I didn't prefer my Leicas
for
film. Nikon realises that their digital market is now and will remain the
main
pastures for their cash cows, but this also allows them to offer a film
camera
for the few folks out there who still want one with the latest tech in their
system.

Evidently, Leica is trying to make the collectors/commemorative market its
main
pasture, but I think that it is a far smaller (though more affluent) pasture
and won't keep the rest of its herd alive unless they also begin to do
something digital better and faster than they have dedicated to it so far.
With
the right camera and proper marketing, they might even catch some of the
photojournalism market back that they used to have. I also don't think that
I'm
alone in thinking that I'd love to be able to use a Leica for low light/no
flash wedding work, but I can't go back to film.

Who knows though. Seems that since the era of the 35mm SLR has been upon us
that Leica always survived well enough by bucking the technology until that
tech is taken for granted by everyone else. (the Hot Shoe, quicker loading,
TTL
metering, Aperture Priority, digital...)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael Eric Berube
GoodPhotos.com