Subject: [Leica] Re: Titanium lenses: Summicron ASPH low production
From: alex at vanhulsenbeek.com (Sander van Hulsenbeek)
Date: Sun Nov 7 01:09:58 2004

Frank wrote:
>If the holdup is due to supplying titanium lenses I can guess the
>reason. Whilst there are good techniques for machining titanium
>nowadays if they only have experience machining aluminum and brass
>they may have serious problems getting a reasonable surface finish on
>milled parts even with the latest cutters.

The titanium is only a finish. On brass or alu lens parts.
So no machining of titanium required!

And as far as I understand the lens parts come from
the factory in Portugal. That is not where the hold up is.

The limiting factor is in the painstakingly slow,
one-per-very-expensive-machine, process of creating
the required aspheric surfaces - one per Summilux . And each ASPH surface,
after each round of milling or polishing, is checked by hand. As far as I
understand the 'hot-stamping' method is no longer used,
anyhow not for the Summilux parts.

So once a priority order for 50 special lenses comes in, stop goes the
manufacturing for the normal
production. The factory in Solms is really small. Interesting, but small!

Sander
Amsterdam
Holland

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Titanium lenses: Summicron ASPH low production)