Subject: [Leica] re: Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Benjamin Marks)
Date: Sat Nov 20 08:49:36 2004

Richard:

Let me make a plug for the wet darkroom, particularly as it will be easier
to do now than it will, say, five years from now as materials get more
scarce.  There are great deals to be had on "obsolete" darkroom equipt. out
there.  For example, I think I have seen on for-sale friday, on this list,
Schneider enlarging lenses selling for 30% of the their new cost, or less.

Traditional silver prints have a wonderful look to them, that I have never
been able to completely duplicate by inkjet, although I think each medium
has its own appeal.  A word of caution.  Wet-darkroom work is not turn-key.
It could take a while to get a print that satisfies you.  I have ruined
whole boxes of perfectly fine photographic paper of various brands and sizes
(one sheet at a time) over the years.  Having a love of b&w silver prints, I
am well aware that I am merely arguing for my own sensibilities, but a
well-made b&w silver print is a thing of beauty, and worth pursuing.

best of luck

Ben Marks

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Focotar 4,5/50 vs Schneider Componon-S)