Subject: [Leica] CM working space for B/W
From: jzietz at lsu.edu (Jim Zietz)
Date: Wed Dec 1 11:49:03 2004

> Ruben, that's where my confusion about the CM workflow comes in.
>
> 1) You have a working space (Let's say Adobe RGB 1998)
> 2) You have a printer (with their own profile)
>
> I thought the whole point of CM was that: you use your working space on
> your calibrated screen but when you want to output on something else, then
> you use another profile.

This seems mainly correct. The monitor profile is used to translate your
working space (Adobe RGB) to as close as it will fit into the monitor's
color gamut. The printer profile does the same for the printer.

I think the original question and intent was about printing grayscale images
to a desktop printer. I keep my grayscale images in rgb and use the same
profiles and technique to print as I use with color images. I print with
Epson R800, 4000, and 7500 printers. I make my own profiles with the
GretagMacbeth Eye-One spectrophotometer.

The only color adjustment you want to make is in the "print with preview"
dialog box, making your "print space" the profile for your printer and the
"source space" the working space (Adobe RGB  is a good working space). In
the "print" dialog box under "print settings", make sure your resolution,
paper settings, and source are correct. I turn "high speed" off and use
color inks (this gives me much smoother gradations). Under "printer color
management" set it to off, as you've already made your color adjustment with
the printer profile.

There are a lot more details to making good digital prints. I highly
recommend the book "Mastering Digital Printing" by Harald Johnson, which is
now in its second edition.
--
Jim Zietz