Subject: [Leica] A quick - non-visual and painful reminder why I should always carry a camera.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Dec 4 15:15:38 2004

B. D. Colen offered: :-)
Subject: [Leica] A quick - non-visual and painful reminder why I should
always carry a camera.

> So late Wednesday evening I got a call telling me that I had to be on a
> 7:30 a.m. flight to Florida Thursday morning, returning late Friday. I
> knew I'd be working the whole time, and with my back I really need to
> cut down on weight and clutter, so I didn't take a camera - first such
> decision in a long time.
>
> Coming back Friday evening I had a window seat in the rear of the plane
> and just at sundown missed one of the best 'wing shots' I've seen in
> many a year - and I even had a clean, reflection-free window through
> which to shoot. Sky and clouds an unearthly pink going to violet; last
> of the sunlight turning the protrusions beneath the wings to pure gold;
> wing lights sharp and well defined; leading edge of the wing a pure
> black, thin band. And no camera. Okay, the photo would have been a
> clich?, but it might have been a good clich?. :-)

> Back or no back, I have learned my lesson. :-(<<<<<<,,

B.D., Mon ami,
It's a lesson we all learn sooner or later. It's as inevitable as shooting
our best pictures on invisible film in a camera!

And advice for those who would smugly return with...." it'll never happen to
me!" In your ear! :-)

Here's a small note of caution..... "Becareful  what you say "will never
happen to me", simply because your turn just hasn't come up yet. But as sure
as you own a camera someday it will come! You'll either shoot with an empty
camera or just when you should have it... it wont be within a hundred miles
of you or just down the street..... but it will not be with you!

If it hasn't happened, it just means your turn hasn't come. :-)

And everyone of us who've had the misfortune occur can attest to an endless
list of "What would have been, that they'd make the Holy Motherherself cry!"
;-)  But the greatest pictures are never recorded due to missed
opportunities of invisible film and no camera! :-)

If it has not happened yet...... it will! And never say, "it'll never
happen!" Why? Well sure as heck you'll do it simply because that's the way
it is and always will be. ;-)

ted