Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering)
From: MichaelW at CadoganManagement.com (Michael Waldron)
Date: Mon Jan 3 11:35:17 2005

Regarding incident/reflective metering, I use both a spot meter and an
incident one.  Both take work to learn how to use and using both at once is
an illuminating experience.  The spot gives you the subject range and if it
is bigger than the film can handle, makes you think about what to lose --
shadow or highlight.  The incident woks well because you can see full sun if
you point it at the sun, or shadow if you stand between the sun and meter
and cast your own shadow on it.  That typically works very well for me.

The best text on metering I have read is in the book "Beyond the Zone
system" which discusses in depth how to meter.  It notes that reflective
surfaces basically can have 5 stops of difference from white to black (not
counting specular highlights, mirrors, etc.).  Open shade is two stops less.
 Thus, if  you have seven stops of latitude on the film, you can capture it
all (the world is often not that simple).  Thus, I find that if I meter with
the incident dome fully in the sun and pointing at it, then I need to open
up a stop to properly get the shadow.  Alternatively, if I turn the dome so
half is in the sun and half in the shade, then I get the "right" exposure to
capture all seven stops.  However, the book notes that different meters are
calibrated differently and that some are set to meter a stop less so that an
open sun reading will provide the right setting for the sun and shade.

This is a complex topic, but I learned a lot from the book and recommend it,
even if you have no interest in zone system type work.

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering))
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7 (now metering))