Subject: [Leica] Photo Books and a New PAW
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Jan 5 08:19:48 2005

Had to be away awhile due to pressures elsewhere and am just now
getting caught up.  Sorry to have missed the discussion on Sontag.  I
don't intend to reopen it other than to say that her book, whatever
its failings, was the first one to make me question what I was doing
with my photography.

Another book that was really helpful in those days was one by Ralph
Hattersley who, as I remember, advised as a learning tool "one
camera, one lens (50 mm), one film (Tri-X), and get as close as you
dare."  I wish I still had his book.  It was called "Discover Your
Self Through Photography."  It got trashed in one of my regular
library purges.

In any case, I've decided to start a PAW.  I will post weekly but
since I tend to photograph in bursts, the photos will of necessity be
recent but not necessarily from last week.

These will be the first "people" pictures I've posted.  Given my size
(6'5") it's a bit hard to be stealthy, but I do try street candids
from time-to-time.  Both were taken in York UK last summer with an
Olympus C-60 and converted to B&W in Photoshop.

Photo 1
http://gallery.leica-users.org/2005-PAW/P7040043_web

Photo 2
http://gallery.leica-users.org/2005-PAW/P7040022_web

Comments and criticisms welcome as always.
--
Regards,

Dick
Boston MA