Subject: [Leica] American Robin
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu Jan 6 13:39:36 2005

John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I know it's not true bu it looks to me that the birds are lining up to
> get photographed by Mr. Herr. His photos are, as always, some of the
> best of their genre.

Thanks John.  With the big 400/2.8 I somethimes thing the opposite is true.
It has two (count 'em, 2) flat protective plates in front of the front
element and I'm beginning to think it's reflecting an image back to the
birds 'cuz as soon as I point the lens at the bird it gets this freaked-out
expression on its face and leaves in a hurry.  Cedar Waxwings especially do
this, even if only have to move the lens slightly to aim at the bird.  I
haven't noticed this with the 280 f/4 APO, which has a single flat
protective plate in front of the front element.  Maybe size does matter.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] American Robin)