Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Sat Jan 8 03:32:25 2005

Sorry about any confusion I may have created in describing Cosina's
manufacturing practices employed with its Voigtlander lens line as evaluated
by the esteemed Mr. Puts. Perhaps I should have used the term "greater range
of tolerances."

Jeffrey, Zeiss did talk about focus shift in its lead up to Photokina & it
is again mentioned on it Zeiss Ikon website. Specifically, it says that its
lenses are designed to "minimize focus shift." Since I have no idea what
they did to achieve this, I find it to be an interesting question regarding
whether this would also be accomplished if the lens is on a body other than
the ZI. Since they specifically state that it is an issue of lens design, I
assume that it would. Also since the original Dagor design back in the 1890s
had significant problems with focus shift, I assume that some lens designs
are prone to greater shifts of optimal focus point with aperture changes
than others.

Zeiss emphasizes the greater precision of focusing that they have achieved
with this new camera system by virtue of its long effective base length &
this minimization of focus shift - an issue highlighted by the indubitable
Mr. Puts in his review of the Noctilux. If Zeiss has accomplished this, it
will be a significant benefit especially for photographers who work at or
close to full aperture on fast lenses.

In what is, I assume, an unrelated comment of marketing promotion, Zeiss
says that its "bright & sharp rangefinder field . . . does not shift or
wander when focusing." I only mention it here because it is another mention
of "shift" in relation to focus.

Cheers,
Bill

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] BESSA R3A or M7)