Subject: [Leica] #009
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Sat Jan 8 14:18:36 2005

From: "Alastair Firkin" <firkin@ncable.net.au>

Subject: Re: [Leica] #009

> I know this is "pushing it", but you have so many wonderful landscapes,
> do you have any direct comparisons with and without the green filter?
>
> Cheers
> On 07/01/2005, at 8:42 AM, GeeBee wrote:
>
> > From: "Alastair Firkin" <firkin@ncable.net.au>
> >
> > Subject: Re: [Leica] #009
> >

> >> G'day GB, could you be kind enough to comment on why you use a green
> >> filter and what effect you are after with it.

> > -----
> > ------------------------
> >
> > Hi Alastair,
> >
> > I want to hold cloud detail without darkening the predominantly green
> > (even
> > now) landscape. On sunny days it tends toward an  infra red look to
> > foliage,
> > without the sun it lightens up anything green and will more readily
> > differentiate between shades of green with a scene:
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/o12.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Leica/Arthingworth_03.htm
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/o21.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l43.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l36.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l28.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l30.html
> >
> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/00205.htm

-----------------------------

Hi Alastair,

That certainly is pushing it :-)  My filing system is to throw film wallets
into a cupboard so the 'system' more or less comprises of oldest on the
bottom.

The 2 shots below are both with a green filter but you can see how many
variations of grey a green filter will assign to the many shades of green
present.

The second shot shows, if you compare the tree in the centre to the first
version, the near infra red look to foliage in full sun. Apparently a green
filter will also improve skin rendition.

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Olympus/Flore_02.htm

Hope that helps.

--Graham

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] #009)