Subject: [Leica] BESSA R3A or M7
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Mon Jan 10 04:43:48 2005

On Saturday, Jeffrey Smith wrote:
>"What impresses me about the new 40/1.4 Nokton is that it is closer in size
>to the 50/1.5 Sonnar (rather than to the 50/1.5 Nokton)."

I'm impressed too, Jeffrey! As I look at the 40 Nokton, it looks like a
slightly modified version of the pre-ASPH 35 Summilux - also very compact as
both lenses are just a hair under 30 mm in length. It would be interesting
to see if the performance characteristics of the too lenses are similar.
Could it be that Cosina saves on R&D by copying older Leica & Zeiss lenses
on which the patent rights have run out? Same strategy in copying the
M-mount when its patent rights had expired.