Subject: [Leica] Media Life--NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Mon Jan 10 11:18:24 2005

What gave a me clue about the importance of standards was through this
explanation I was given sometime ago. It had to do with measuring tapes
and rulers. The issue was that if one wanted that "one inch" to be the
same worldwide, there had to be a norm followed by everyone. In this
case, when there could be 200 countries manufacturing rulers for
American subcontractors, that ruler reaching us here had to be within a
particular tolerance.
I had a case where I bought a cheap voltage tester to keep in my car, a
must for today's electrics. I tried replacing AAA batteries in it, not
wanting to use Shanghai's best. The case was built to use their battery
size, 1.5 millimeters shorter. I couldn't use our standardized AAA's in
it. I took the tester back. And I bet the importer had to take a bath
on them.
Then on the other hand, look at what the Clinton/Bush(I&II) era
denigration of medical standards has done for pharmaceutical research.
That series of shortcuts is probably going to wind up in court from the
consumer's end. Never mind a further erosion of trust of the industry
by the consumer.
S. Dimitrov