Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Focus Shift
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Tue Jan 11 15:26:39 2005

>Regarding Mark Rabineer's comments:

Mark, you listed one questionable assertion: "We decided to design our own
camera body because other cameras could simply not match the performance of
our lenses."

I'll give you that one. Zeiss crossed the line & should apologize for that
statement.

Everything else you listed was marketing fluff & had nothing to do with
performance claims about the body or lenses. It had to do with slogans,
limited editions, etc. If you are offended by that, are you not offended by
the Leica website. The first thing that hits you when you open it up is:

"Leica a la Carte" Yes, you can go to that page & decide whether you want
alligator skin leather or burgundy colors or what have you. Not marketing
fluff?

If that's not enough, the sign for the "a la Carte" program is followed by:

"Happy 50th Birthday: A New Special Anniversary Edition of the M7" Well, if
you're offended by limited editions, there's one for you. And if the 50th
Anniversary M7 isn't enough for you, just look farther down the page & you
find:

"New Oscar Barnack Edition" Had enough? I think that Leica has outdone Zeiss
in the marketing fluff department.

Finally, you did not talk about Rollei lenses made by Zeiss in your original
post. You criticized Zeiss for 2 specific lenses being brought out in
M-mount: the 40 Sonnar from the Rollei 35 & the 80 Planar from medium
format. As a fan & user of the Rollei 35, you know that Zeiss never made
this lens even though they designed it. The simple fact is that producing
these 2 lenses in M-mount was a Rollei decision & Zeiss had nothing to do
with it.You accused Zeiss of this decision when it was not true. You then
went on to criticize them for them for something that they had nothing to do
with.

I said above that Zeiss should apologize for the questionable assertion that
they made about their camera body & the implied criticism of Leica & others.
You too should apologize for your own questionable assertion, which was
unfounded about Zeiss being responsible for the production of 2 Rollei
lenses.

Regards,
Bill