Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Tue Jan 11 17:51:16 2005

At 05:32 PM 1/11/2005, Bill Marshall wrote:

>On Monday, Richard wrote:
>>"Well, since I am one of the people that calls it "smelling of marketing
>>hype," let me reiterate why I thought so:
>- stress on high resolution when most experts say what are they smoking?"

Hi Bill, thanks for writing and thanks for tracking down some real info.
Since I don't really have any stakes on Leica vs. Zeiss :-) I'd agree with
your earlier email that we will just have to wait and see.

For myself, I *might* be interested in the 15/2.8. As I have fast 35/50/90
already, I myself are not interested in most of their offerings, unless the
85/2 Sonnar is significantly smaller than the 90/2AA.

However, competition is always a good thing. If they can produce and if the
quality is high and the price is right, if nothing else, the overall prices
(including the used market) should drop a bit. I am less, hmmm...,
pessimistic on Leica's future than BD. If the ZI lens and body are
successful, I suspect it may help Leica rather than kill it, but that's
just MHO.

Again, thanks for the real info. I will refrain from calling the ZI
smelling like marketing hype :-)

use richard at imagecraft.com)