Subject: [Leica] The Zeiss Choice
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Wed Jan 12 15:20:45 2005

Ian Watts wrote:
>"Do you know for a fact that the camera body will be rangefinder coupled
>down to 0.3m?"

Ian, I find that the most reliable source of information about the Zeiss
Ikon system is from the Hasselblad home office in Sweden, which can be
reached via e-mail (info@zeissikon.com). They are prompt about returning
messages & aways address questions courteously & completely. In this case,
the New Product Manager, who is normally the person to return e-mails, is
out of the office until Monday. (I was notified by automatic
computer-generated response.) So, I contacted Hasselblad-USA before I posted
my message & was told that their understanding is that it is rangefinder
coupled for all the lenses, i.e. down to 0.3m. If I receive any
contradictory information, I will post it immediately. Knowing that Zeiss
lenses for Contax cameras have similar close focusing capabilities, this
seemed consistent with their past approach - although clearly this is a
different focus system without electronic assistance. I will be very
surprised if it is not rangefinder coupled at least to 0.5m for the other 3
wide angle lenses.

Cheers,
Bill