Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Ikon Focus Shift
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jan 12 17:09:10 2005

On 1/12/05 10:12 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> No one's suggesting consigning our Ms to the dustbin - I'm simply saying
> it's ludicrous to worry about whether Zeiss will produce these lenses
> for three days, or three hundred years. IF they are state-of-the-art,
> beautifully constructed lenses, they will last. Buy them or don't buy
> them.
>
> As to a digital M - I'd put my money on a digital Zeiss in M mount long
> before I'd put it on Leica coming out with a digital M. Digital M?
> Wasn't that the camera Leica said was impossible to produce - until the
> day Epson came out with a digital M mount? Or was it only LUG chatter
> that proclaimed it an impossibility? ;-) In any case, time will tell...

I somehow blend in my own mind the chatter with real reality but this was an
official announcement made by Leica.
And made quickly after Epson's announcement of their impending R1D1 digital
M mount.
But they said "in two years" so its hard to find it important enough to
remember.
I read the dpreview.com         http://www.dpreview.com/
Every morning before I hit the world news topics.
Today for instance was a big news day as twice a week usually is...
For me because I'm invested heavily into Nikon:

Nikon has today announced that the D2X digital SLR will begin shipping on 25
February and its suggested street price will be $4,999 (approx ?3,818) and
MSRP of $6,299 (?4,810). The UK price will be ?3,499.  ...  (11:00 GMT)

I've been delaying on the Epson because 6 megapixels is starting to feel
light for 6 grand.
6 megapixels is just starting to feel light to me even for 500 bucks.
I've been waiting to see what the 12 megapixel Nikon D2x would cost first.
Twice as much - that's how much! Megebummer!
At the going rate of a thousand dollars a megapixel. No bulk discounts.
So it's not quite here for too much money.
But is otherwise really groovey.
Other than the fact that I'd rather be using my Leica glass.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/