Subject: [Leica] Disturbing Research Find
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Fri Jan 14 06:21:15 2005

Bill Clough wrote:

>USA
>TEXAS
>CORPUS CHRISTI
>
>This, from BBC Online:
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4171591.stm
>
>--Bill

Bill-
I have just finished an interesting book called, somewhat misleadingly,
"A brain for all seasons" where the author propounds that the cause of
the previous 'ice ages' or instances of global cooling were precipitated
by warming trends that by generating too much fresh water in the north
Atlantic, caused the 'conveyer' of the Gulf stream and the north
Atlantic conveyer of returning cooler water south lead to fairly rapid
changes in climate, and as a result, this lead to mankind developing
larger brains and survival strategies to survive.
His picture is painted in grim colors if you carry the theory to its
logical conclusion. The north Atlantic conveyer relies on the warm Gulf
stream moving north, losing  water from evaporation in the northern
reaches, warming Europe among other places, and the then more saline and
dense water sinking, and flowing like a great river toward the south to
recirculate again. He explains how seabed sediment shows signs of times
whan this conveyor stopped, and the stoppages brought on disaster in
Europe among other places. The warming of the Gulf stream explains why
Europe, which is on about the same lattitude as Canada, can grow much
more food per capita than can Canada, and enjoys a rather mild climate.
Should the conveyor stop- the climate can change in as little as a
couple of decades, not centuries, and the resulting starvation would be
much worse than the last 'cool' period from about 1300 to the 1860's-
which included the 'Maunder Minimum' in the early 1800's when the Thames
froze so firmly that an elephant was able to walk across it (I love
those 19th century showmen!). We think of Charles Dickens' London, and
the snow covered Christmases of Scrooge's time, but this was written
during the period of the Maunder Minimum, and I don't think England has
been quite so chilly since!
Obviously, the Shahara may one day bloom again, as it did 11-13,000
years ago, but the resulting changes elsewhare may be disasterous as the
current climate patterns have placed mankind in the most advantageous
places to propagate over the last several thousand years- the very
places where a severe climate shift would impact the most severely. To
keep it on topic, I wouldn't even want to be there with my Leica to get
pictures if it happens.
If there is a mass extinction on the horizon, or near extinction, I have
a desparate feeling that we may be it. It may be excaserbated by man,
but nature seems to have a way of wiping the slate clean periodically
and starting over. If we evolved as we did, to survive earlier
catatrophes, we may be faced with another evolutionary shift to adapt to
a cooler, less pleasant world- with far fewer people.
The Mayan calendar ends on 23 December 2012; presumably the fifth age of
man shall have come to an end at that time(Ooooh, I love the
pluperfect!)-on my birthday, naturally. Perhaps they knew something!
Anyway, I intend to have a birthday party in 2012 that boggles the mind-
the single malt will flow like water, and devil take the hindmost. If we
wake up on the 24th, well- at least we had one helluva blowout. If we
don't and the world has come to a screecing halt at least the single
malt did not go to waste, and I'll see you guys on 'the other side'
where Leicas are issued to the True Believers, and everyday is a photo-op!
Best of light to you!
Dan

Replies: Reply from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Disturbing Research Find)