Subject: [Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Jan 16 07:05:48 2005

Jeffery Smith wrote:
> If we're going with a collapsible normal lens, then I would like to
> see a collapsible 50/2 Summicron in LTM rather than the Elmar. If
> we're going to get nostalgic, let's go with a lens that has been
> discontinued. And let's go with the original 50/2 design (for that
> "old" fingerprint).

I'd go woth 50/2 collapsible too, but my concern, perhaps
unfounded, is the size and cost.  The appeal in collapsible
lenses to me is the compact size, and I believe the (modern)
50/2.8 in LTM is smaller thatn the 50/2 collapsible to make
a difference.

Regarding the cost, wouldn't reviving an older
design and recoating the lens elements for it more expensive
than changing the current 50/2.8 production line for the LTM
mount ?  I do not feel as strongly about the size as I do about
the cost.

I am not in this for any nostalgia at all.  For nostalgia, I would
rather buy the existing lenses produced 50 years ago.

While I keep my hopes up, I am dubious than we can produce
_any_  Leica lens in a limited run at a substantial smaller cost
($500-$700) than any existing Leica lens.   The cheapest current
Leica lens is the 50/2.8 at $750, and my guess is that a LTM
version of it is the lowest cost/price we can get.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from jefferys at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Elmar 50mm f2.8 thoughts/opinions)