Subject: [Leica] step up ring
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 17 15:19:26 2005

Wow!!!!!!! Great idea I never thought of--many thanks.

alex olstein <alexolstein@comcast.net> wrote:Hi Bill,

If you are handy, you can get a cheap 40.5mm step up ring, and gently file
the threads a bit to reduce the .5mm ( emery board is ok ) . You don't have
to measure, just file a bit and try it on the lens, and then just file a bit
more, etc. the thread pitch should be the same so what happens is the cheap
ring is usually made of aluminum and the lens is usually brass, so if you
file the threads a little the aluminum step ring will be "cut" by the brass
lens and so it will fit enough to work. The tolerances on the cheap rings
are often so large that is to your advantage.

Alex Olstein