Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Jan 21 09:47:22 2005

> Make the glass fit other cameras, Nikon or Canon, and watch the $$$ flow
> in.

This has been discussed many times before.  I dunno about Nikon, but Canon
doesn't want competition for their lens sales.   A low-end lens maker can
find a niche reverse-engineering the Canon mount and electronics.  Sooner or
later Canon will find a way to make the 3rd-party lenses incompatible with
new bodies.  People might be willing to spend a few bucks for a lens that
will become a doorstop but I doubt many would be willing to fork out
Leica-like cash for a potential doorstop.

Leica's alternative is to make the lenses Canon-fit, manual only - which is
exactly what an R lens plus adapter is.  Why would Leica make manual lenses
that would only fit Canon when an R-mount lens plus adapter would work just
like a Canon-mount manual lens, and could be used on a Leica-R body as well?

Nikon AIS-mount lenses make much more sense than EOS-mount lenses IMHO,
especially if the lenses are chipped.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com