Subject: [Leica] Doomed: Leica MP 0.58x
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Jan 21 17:33:38 2005

It is not a German location problem..... Leica charges 10 times ( or close
enough) because WE WILL PAY IT!  It is not an issiue of labor rates or the
amount of QA in the product.

Heartily disagree... I feel that if Leica triues to initiate a new mount for
the Digi-M, it bye-bye.   There are thousands of lenses out there.  They can
all be used.  Asking us to spend yet another 10 times the competitive cost
for a lens is absurd.  This is not Canon or Nikon in all their glory.. it is
little old Leica.

Agree 100% with the license the SLR ( or M!)  digital body approach.

Ahem.. Hasselblad is out of the film business... I think you had best
revisit that thought......  You want NO Leica?  ( they are doing that
themselves...)

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

The other problem i see is that Leica gear is simply too expensive. I
have friends who
were interested in buying an M, but when they saw the price tag they
dropped the idea.
But I am not sure how to solve that. Move production out of Germany?

I don't care of it doesn't use all, or none of
the current lenses. Canon screwed everyone when they changed mounts and
after the riots died down everything was ok.

I also think they should team up with someone and license the guts of a
good 8MP
SLR and produce it with an R-mount. Make two models, one for $1500 and
a sturdier one for more.

I think Hasselblad is being a lot smarter about the future than Leica
and if they don't do something soon they are going to be finished. But
I would also bet that at that point ,they get bought by a big Japanese
firm...

feli