Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica glass
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 22 14:29:47 2005

Dan Post said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica glass

> True- glass is glass is glass, for the most part; but then, it's what the
> little gnomes do with it!
> Since playing with a recently acquired Canon 10D and the ubiquitous, (and
> comparatively wobbly) 28-85USM, I realize that I can actually get sharper
> results with Tri-X, or HP-5 in the trusty old IIIf with the 50/3.5 Elmar!
> Now I start wondering if the Leica to Canon mount is such a foolish
> idea!<,,

Hi Dan,
So far I'm batting a 1000 with the 20D & adapter for my Leica R lenses.
Absolutely amazing results for exposure and sharpness. I used the 80-200
f4.0 zoom in Hawaii last week on assignment and R&R. Last evening we were
printing 12"X18" photos on 13X19 paper and they looked just as sharp and
crisp as though it were film from an R8!

And not full frame on some when we did cropping and yet held to the 12X18
size without detail loss or print quality.

My bet is before Leica get around to their R8-9 digi back on the market, a
great number of R users anxious to get into digital photography are going to
be lost as customers for Leica. Why?

Simply because the 20D is economical to purchase, works as simple as all get
out with extremely fine results using a LEICA-EOS adapter and your Leica R
lenses!  I mean I'm not talking about 4X6 happy snaps, I'm talking about
commercial size prints and shooting paying assignments.

If anyone is in doubt about using their R glass with the 20D or any of the
Canon cameras have no fear... get an adapter or two or three and shoot away
to your hearts content! You wont be sorry. Besides when the Leica R digi
back becomes available you can always sell the 20D if your so inclined to
help pay for the R digi back! Oh and probably sell a bunch of other stuff to
also help pay for it. ;-)

Right now? Who needs the R back when you got a piece of cake camera ready to
rock and roll with producing very fine quality for not a great deal of cost!
Have a nice photo day! ;-)

ted

Message from jcb at visualimpressions.com (JCB) ([Leica] Re: Leica glass)
Message from dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post) ([Leica] Re: Leica glass)