Subject: [Leica] R lenses on Canon
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M.Sharp)
Date: Sun Jan 23 07:56:30 2005

It all goes to show, again, that Leica has,unfortunately, missed the boat -
again.

I'm sure that swearing by Leica has recently changed to swearing at Leica
for
not getting their act together, R8 winder, DMR etc. Latest release date for
the
DMR is now (according to the press in Germany) April 2005 - and at how many
camera fairs have they now failed to demonstrate a working model?

It can only be hoped that the people in Solms may learn something from the
fact
that, by now, a lot of dyed in the wool Leicaphiles are now using their
lovely R
lenses on Canon bodies. Now I've done it with the DSLRs I'm doing it with a
previously hardly used EOS film SLR too. Not so long ago we would have heard
the
screams of "Heresy!!"
Of course Doug H. has a few points which really do tell against the
hybrid  set-up. If I was doing the kind of wonderful stuff he does I'd
probably find the 20D inadequate too - a couple of centimetres DOF at 100
metres
is the kind of tolerance I just don't need for the stuff I take. (Steam
Locomotives just don't run or fly away when you get close). Canon are on to
very good thing with the possibility of mounting R-lenses, it's great
advertising for them - "look , our cameras are so good that even Leica users
buy
them" I think it's much more likely that Canon may start producing adapters
themselves than that they refit the EOS mount to stop the use of other
makers
glass. And, to be quite honest, Canon lenses aren't all bad either.
Douglas