Subject: [Leica] Re: fine grain hig speed ?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Mon Jan 24 16:55:37 2005

Ruben:

>What would be the combination of film and developer for 400 ISO and for 800
>ISO that would give the finest grain ? would any post lightning or other
>darkroom techniques before processing the film,  make the grain any finer.
>
>It does not matter if the individual film ends up needing more time in the
>process or end up being say 20 % more expensive - I do not shoot 15 frames
>of each motif.

I'm a big fan of Fuji Neopan 400 in Xtol 1:3.  I made a 10x15 of this one
recently:

http://canid.com/johanna/decorating_christmas_tree_4.html

Very, very tight grain.  I expose it at 400 and like my results.  I usually
meter a "normal" skintone on the face and open up a stop.  I buy "imported"
Neopan 400 from B&H at $2.50 a roll.  A 5 L pack of Xtol is $9...that's good
for 76 rolls the way I develop.  So less than 8 cents per exposure.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Incorrect information about end of MP production)