Subject: [Leica] VIRUS received, spoofs LUG's old address
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jan 24 23:17:10 2005

If you receive a message that appears to come from the LUG's old address
(leica-users at mejac.palo-alto.ca), do not open the attachment it
contains.  It is not from the LUG.  It is a virus, WORM_MYDOOM.M.  It
should be obvious something is wrong, as the LUG never contains attachments.

The subject of the message I received was "Error," and the attachment was
"Message.Zip"  However, be aware that some viruses vary their subject and
payload file name, so your mileage may vary.  The message contains no LUG
posts, just the attachment.  It was about 40K.

Sorry if this scares anyone needlessly.  I thought it was prudent to notify
the list, just in case Mr. Virus got a set of our email addresses from the
same address book it got the LUG's old address.

--Peter