Subject: [Leica] Phat
From: neal at nairobisafari.com (Neal Friedenthal)
Date: Tue Jan 25 20:24:46 2005

>OK,

>What happens when you put an 8mm fisheye lens for a standard 35mm film
>camera on a 1.5 ratio digital camera? What happens to the depth of
>field...and is it still a fisheye? Late night musing minds want to know....

>jm

Depth of field remains the same no mater what size the "targett" is, be it
full frame 35mm or 1.5 ratio or as in this case 1.6 ratio.  When this lens
is mounted on a full frame 35mm it produces an almost
circular image, slight flat area on top and bottom of a horizontal 35mm
frame.  In the Canon 20D with its 1.6 ratio only the corners of the frame
are cut, I usually crop this out. As far as it being a fisheye,
fisheye lenses are designed to distort and the distortion is still there.